Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Pork Week!

Something happened last Wednesday that changed me forever. Well, maybe just for the next 6 days. I had a pigpiphany, if you will, and you're here, so I know you will.

Many people commented on my last post, most of them expressing joy over pig candy and a salad that is more than half bacon and eggs. It is my duty, however, to give you all a warning: pig candy is a gateway drug. Use it with caution, or you might just find yourself on a week-long pork binge, selling out your friends and loved ones for a tiny bit of cracklin. And be very careful about doing this around your children. Although, if bacon grease is a drug, they may be onto something here. Mmm, brains.

I'm going back to turkey tonight for Taco Tuesday, and only one of BoW's famous margaritas will make the shaking stop. Maybe I'll get a ham sandwich for lunch, just to tide me over. With my luck, they'll probably pick M Cafe today.

Thursday night was a quiet night at home. We had a couple of sausages in the freezer and thought we'd grill them up and serve with steamed broccoli. Simple, tasty, healthy, right? Normally, we would get chicken sausages for this kind of meal, but since it was leftovers, we had a couple of those and a couple of pork Italian sausages. And so it began. I didn't even think of it at the time. In fact, it was only Sunday when I noticed how quietly and innocuously the pig had inserted itself into our lives.

Friday, we decided to do our anti VD night out. I knew Count Reeshard was planning on going to Fioretto on Saturday, so I would get the report if they did something special, but this way BoW and I could enjoy a relatively quiet dinner and save the fireworks for Saturday at home. I finally photographed the elusive Rossa.



BoW had the Mozarella, which was fresh and delicious.



We had a nice bottle of the Morellino di Scansano and were more than satisfied with our main courses, to say the least. Here is the Scottadito, with a thick and acerbic olive sauce that harmonized perfectly with the meatiness of the lamb and the slightly thin yet creamy gravy of the goat cheese risotto. This was a perfect example the Tuscan ideal of simple, balanced combination. None of the elements was as good as it was when eaten with both of the others.



The Pici is a standard menu option, and Chef's fresh pasta never disappoints. Sausage ragout fills my pork requirement for the day. Every time you have spaghetti and meat sauce in a restaurant in this country, this is what you wish you were having.



At this point, I'm going to skip ahead to Sunday. I know that if I show you what I did on Saturday right now, you won't go on. You'll at the very least have to stop for a moment to yourself, and when you come back, the last segment will seem like a tagged-on ending to a modern high-concept comedy.

Sunday, I had to work, so BoW was left to do some typical Sunday chores and whip up some of her awesome pizza. I've spoken pie here before, and I will say that hers is as good as any I've mentioned. First was the red pie, seen here in enticing before and after photos, with tomato sauce, fresh cheese, basil, mushroom, and salami.




Second was the white pie with cheese, artichoke, and prosciutto. 



Finally, Monday (day 6) arrived, and thanks be to Ceasar Chavez, I had the day off. Sadly, BoW had to go in, so while I had time to make a nice meal, the day was not quite as decadent as our normal Sunday. This leisure allowed time for my fertile imagination to come up with a way to get some pork into what is normally a vegetarian pasta dish. Rendering prosciutto pieces in the toaster oven to use as garnish? Dare I?



Apparently, yes.



Fresh fettucini from WFM, lots of garlic, artichoke, hearts of palm, fresh parsley. This is what Mussolini sympathizers were eating in Argentina in the 50s while they waited for their steaks to grill.

Okay, I need a break. I apologize to those of you in the RSS crowd for the tease, but rest assured, I will be back later in the afternoon with further salty, smoky, fatty goodness.




No comments: