Sunday, December 14, 2008

More Tacos

I love California. Über alles, indeed.

Lucky enough to have a Sunday off (don't worry, I'll be paying for it by working 120+ hours between now and Xmas), BoW and I made the most of a gorgeous, clear, cool morning to get in a short ride and a visit to the Mar Vista Farmers' Market

While BoW did not agree with me, I was quite relieved to avoid any interaction with a certain perverse, jolly-old elf that seemed to be trolling Gandview looking for children. 

The best part of the market today, though, was the presence of Yoshi's catering. They offer two things: sushi tacos and sushi burritos. 

That's right: sushi tacos and sushi burritos. I mentioned I love California, right?

Now, I have expressed my love for the taco in this space not once, not twice, but three times. My love for Japanese food has been less of a topic, but represented nonetheless. So, dare I live the dream and try one of these delicious concoctions - the perfect marriage of all things delicious?

The three taco combo is a mainstay of SoCal eating, and BoW and I both chose to try the spicy tuna, spicy albacore, and spicy scallop, eschewing the California roll taco. I ate the Albacore in three bites before remembering to take a picture.



Man, they were good. Like, really good. OH MY GOD, THEY WERE SO GOOD!

While we were waiting, I noticed one of the chefs playing with some octopus at the prep table. Next thing I know, I was presented with what he described as "real Japanese fast food." Takoyaki is its name, and it beats the crap out of chicken nuggets. Needless to say, my enthusiasm for the tentacles was rewarded with extra fat tacos. Ten bucks for all, by the way.

On a side note, we went to dinner last night with my friend RB and his new bride. We stopped by their place for a cocktail beforehand. You may remember that RB was with me when I discovered the difference a real marasca cherry makes in a Manhattan. What you probably don't know is that he and I spent a week working in Padova, Italy together about 12 years ago, a trip that informed both of our palates, and set us both on the path to gormandise. It was there, too,  that we both first discovered Luxardo.

Well, on their honeymoon road trip to Napa, they stopped at gourmet market and bought a jar of real Luxardo marasca cherries. Suffice to say that the ones they use at Father's Office are not the same. Treat yourself this holiday. Order some online and drown them in some bourbon or rye. You'll never eat a bright red maraschino again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Damn, those tacos look good. Erm, unless those cherries were sold for cosmetic purposes, I think they may be called marasca, instead of mascara...

eatmee said...

Duly noted and corrected. That's what I get for blogging in the morning...